Friday, August 8, 2008

I went to see the movie Mama Mia on Tuesday with my friends, and OMG it was fantastic! I went because I wanted to see the Greek locations, and because of ABBA, but I loved the movie. I was totally blown over. It was the first time in my life that a movie finished and I wanted to see it all over again! I want to drag my BF to see it with me this weekend. It may take a bit of begging and pleading, but I want him to see it too. And I will be the first in line to buy the DVD as soon as it comes out for sale! Yes! I loved it that much!
I didn't expect to do all that crying though. That came as a total surprise! The movie brought back a lot of memories from when I was 19 and I had spent 10 months in Greece. It was in 1977 and a lot of the songs are from that time. The songs flooded me with all the emotions of being 19 again and missing those carefree days. Dang! but I had a wonderful time that year with my cousin. Imagine if you will, two young and crazy girls let loose in Greece during the disco era! Did we ever have fun! That year I visited 5 of the Greek Islands. And not just a quickie visit, no this was for a few days to a week on each one. Some were with my cousin, and some with my mom and aunts, but each visit was wonderful. My only regret is that I wish I had taken lots more pictures! Looking back now, I wish I had appreciated how wonderful I looked back then. I was no model, but gosh darn being 19 really helps!

The movie also made me cry, cause Donna's (played by Meryl Streep) daughter was growing up and getting married and moving on with her life, and I was thinking of my friend's daughter, who is now around 23, and bf's 2 girls who are 25 and 21, and I was thinking about my son who just turned 19 and how things are different and they are no longer our babies. Soon they too will start on their life away from us, where their focus will be on their friends, their careers, their relationships and later their own families. I know this the right thing, that our children grow and build their own lives, but it was only yesterday that I knew everything my sons did and went to and thought about. And now, I know there is a lot I am not a part of, and I wonder, when did this happen?????
Don't get me wrong, I love having independent children, thus having more free time for me, and yet the changes need a bit of getting used to.

Ok, enough mushy stuff, go out there and see the movie for yourselves, its really good.

Work has been really hard this week, but on the bright side, it has flown by. I blinked and it was Thursday! And payday! Yea!!!!

I am so looking forward to the weekend cause there will be cuddle time with my darling B! Perhaps we may go visit his mom on Saturday, as his oldest sister is in town visiting with her husband, and she is the only one of his 5 sisters that I have not met yet. What is that you say? Yes, you heard right, my sweetie has 5 older sisters, and he survived! I think that's what makes him so wonderful! Perhaps one day I'll tell you all about it.
Have a great day!

2 comments:

Have the T-shirt said...

I want to see the movie too! I saw the play several years ago and loved it!

It is a bittersweet thing, having our kids grow up and away from us, huh?

Dora said...

Yes it is T! I almost feel guilty that I am happy they have a life outside, and at the same time I want to hug and kiss them like when they were little. Do we get to the point where we get used to this? Or will it always be this way? I have a funny feeling that we have our reward when they have children of their own. As long as they don't drop them off all the time!