Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ditzy 101

Its been a busy and lazy kind of week, if that makes any sense. I have been at work every day, so all that previous free time is gone now, and when I get home I am just too lazy to do anything. It doesn't help that I am home all alone, what with the kids being in Greece. How nice is it to be completely free to do nothing if you feel like it. No dinners to cook, no picking up for anyone, no laundry if you have enough clean underwear to get through the week! Sorry, is that TMI?

The first day at work was such a riot! Within the first hour, I got my boss in trouble, am I not amazing or what. Is that a record? Our building has security locks everywhere and to get around you need these magnetic cards to unlock the doors. Because I started working there only 2 days after the job offer, they had not had time to set me up with the card and I needed to go downstairs to arrange parking for my car. My boss gave me his card and told me to go down to the security office to get set up. Well, when I got there, being the dummy that I am, I plopped the card on the counter and started asking for information. They barely heard a word I said. The gaurd's eyes went directly to my boss's card and asked where I got that. Being the clueless one that I am, I of so innocently said, "Why, my boss gave it to me" Picture wides eyes and cutie eylash batting. She grabbed that card off the counter so fast, it was almost a magic trick and then turned to me and said "I have to confiscate this card. Its against policy to lend your card to others. He will have to come here and pick it up himself." OMG! Can you hear the thunder claps? I have only been on the job an hour and already I have fucked up! I had to return to my boss's office, and let him know that security had taken his card and they needed him to go down there. He was really nice about it though. He was mad, but not at me, and he was nice enough to repeat it over and over that it wasn't my fault.
I found out later that week, that there has been some turnover in that department and my boss is being super nice with me, because he wants me to stay. In fact there was a bit of a running joke, where some of the other ladies (all very nice people) pretended they were surprised I was back the next morning. Little do they know, that I have wanted to work in this company for at least 2 years, and now that I am finally in, you could not get me out if you tried!

Friday was B's (devoted bf) daughter's 21st birthday and she wanted to see a movie and have pizza at home, and that's what we did. We went to see Stepbrothers (her choice-very funny but some may find it too coarse) and then we got some pizza and beer and went back to their place. It was fun and we talked and laughed a bit. B plied me with lots of very strong beer all night long and got me so drunk I had to stay and sleep it off on the couch till 4 AM!
I gave K the last of the presents I got her, which were a trip to the zoo ( I know she is 21, but she begged me), a plastic adirondack chair in a bright pink color for their apartment's pool area, and a really nice dinner out, with just the two of us, where we celebrated her birthday and my new job . Last night I gave her a small amethyst pendent shaped like a tear drop on a nice white gold chain. She really loved it, and I hope she will have it for many years to come and that it will remind her of this time when she was 21 years old.
Today we go to the country side to visit B's Mom, bringing with us the requested Strawberry mousse birthday cake to continue the birthday celebrations. B's mom lives about half an hour away from the city, in a really nice small country town. She lives there with her sister in an old house surrounded by a beautiful garden with lots of flowers. She is 93 and her sister is 82, and they are both healthy as a horse, God love them! If the weather is nice, we'll have our cake in garden. And if I'm lucky, we'll get back early enough to dump everyone, so that B and I can come back to my place for some private time alone. That would really make my weekend! BTW, have I mention I simply adore B? There, now you know. That is a whole other story right there.

I realise that I am writting a lot of dreary details. Its still new and I am not sure what kind of blog this will be. I am trying to get the "blog" perspective and to open my awareness to things that occur that are interesting enough to write about, without long boring details. Hopefull I will improve with each post. Thank you all for your patience and have a great day!

1 comment:

Have the T-shirt said...

So glad you are blogging, can't wait to read more about your life!